Drawing Close in Quietness

4 Aug

“Draw near to God and he will draw near to you” James 4:8

"Northwest Enchantment" (c) Melanie Pruitt 2011

I recently wrote a post title “Busy is not in My Vocabulary”. I’m not sure, though, that many people understood it. There don’t seem to be many people like me who have been forced to slow down so much that “busy” doesn’t really apply to their life.

I have written a lot of blog posts talking about my chronic illness, M.E., and the difficulties it has brought to my life. But I was talking to my husband the other night and I realized that I have something very unique that most people will never experience – something I am very thankful for.

I spend a lot of quiet, calm time, just being with God. It just happens. I don’t need to carve out time or set aside a special day or hour. I don’t need to seek big new revelations or challenges. I just get to simply enjoy God’s presence.

My very best times are when I am painting. My ears are filled with soft music, my mind is focused on beautiful creation and my heart is so in tune with God, it’s hard to stop painting!

I seriously don’t think i would have been able to comprehend such a close, quiet relationship without this illness. I know I would have never taken the time to learn to paint. And painting has become the best time to sit and talk, listen and be with God.

I find that often people want to encourage me that I’ve accomplished something. And, I must admit, I sometimes fall into that trap myself. But the truth is that Jesus summed up God’s commandments by saying “The first is this… Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and spirit. And the second is this… Love your neighbor as yourself.”

So I remind myself, that every day, I am accomplishing something quite important… even when I don’t “do” anything!

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG

6 Responses to “Drawing Close in Quietness”

1. Barbie August 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

Hi Melanie. This is a powerful post! I am so thankful that God has used your illness to take you to deeper places in Him. I love painting as well and often feel close to God when I do. Love the scripture you quoted here. I quoted it as well in my linked up post. Many blessings!

• Melanie August 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

Barbie! You are so sweet. Thank you for your comment and for the encouragement. I have always loved that verse… just never imagined how I would be applying it now :-) I’d love to see some of your paintings! (Oh! I just visited your blog and REALLY enjoyed your art!)

2. Rachel Lundy August 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Thanks so much for this, Melanie. It is always encouraging to be reminded of the bright side of dysautonomia and the value that is found in living with a disability.

• Melanie August 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Thank you Rachel. You are always such an encouragement to me!

3. Roz August 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

I stumbled across your blog, and I say “Lucky for me!”.

The verse from James reminds me of a time when I felt like I had the reverse experience — I cast my cares on the Lord (because they were too heavy for me to hold anymore) and I watched in delight as he cared for me. Sometimes, Scripture just seems to describe my life.

Thanks for being here.

Roz

• Melanie August 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond Roz! I appreciate you sharing your own experience and applications of this verse too. Hope you come back again.